Word Lens Translator
1,000,000 - 5,000,000 downloads
- Word focus
- Zoom in/out and rotating tools
- Still missing some languages
- Limited free features
World Lens uses the rear camera of your device to instantly translate printed words
Dictionaries, translator devices and all this sort of gadgets are almost becoming unuseful due to smart devices. Apps are adding functions to our mobile devices making the most of its built-in features. Word Lens turns your camera into a translator: you just need to target the printed word you want to translate (imagine ads, sign, posters, magazines...) with the back camera of your device and it will do the rest.
However, translating isn't the only action you can perform with Word Lens. Actually this Lite version only brings two features and none of them are translation tools. Demo includes "word reverse" (it reverses the words you target) and "erase words" (the word you target will disappear). This is just to show you how this technology works. However, although that's interesting, it's not really useful.
Instant translations is its star feature.
Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, or clicking on a word.
Available language pairs:
+ English ⇆ Russian
+ English ⇆ Spanish
+ English ⇆ French
+ English ⇆ Italian
+ English ⇆ German
+ English ⇆ Portuguese
Notes for getting the best quality out of your translations:
- Best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- DOES NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- It's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- Keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away and tap-to-focus if autofocus is struggling.
- Turn on the flashlight (if available on your device)
- Zoom in (if available on your device)
Some features are device dependent. Not all device cameras can zoom, nor do all devices have a flashlight.
Having trouble? We want to hear from you! Email us at:
Hardware Controls: Take Pictures and Videos: Used to access the camera so we can translate what it sees.
v3: All languages free! Thank you for your support!
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
It works great
Love it .. very easy to use ...
and does what it says....one of the best apps around .. lm giving 5 stars for this app, Please add more languages like Chinese. Thank you
Camera error: Please Retry.
I love the idea but it hasn't really worked for me. It may be the fonts that were used on the foreign text. It flickers between a dozen different words all over the screen. I'm hoping newer versions will be a little smarter. It REALLY has trouble trying to read anything on a screen. It probably sees the screen flicker that we can't see. If so that explains the problem with reading screens.
This app. Super and tooo good...vry nice working app.
So far have went to holland... no dutch, then went to by Czech.... no czech, will see how it goes in spain though