Word Lens Translator by Quest Visual, Inc.
10,000 - 50,000 downloads
- Word focus
- Zoom in/out and rotating tools
- Still missing some languages
- It should be more accurate
+ By Quest Visual, Inc.
World Lens uses the back camera of your device to instantly translate printed words
Dictionaries, translator devices and all this sort of gadgets are almost becoming unuseful due to smart devices. Apps are adding functions to our mobile devices making the most of its built-in features. Word Lens turns your camera into a translator: you just need to target the printed word you want to translate (imagine ads, sign, posters, magazines...) with the back camera of your device and it will do the rest.
However, translating isn't the only action you can perform with Word Lens. Actually this Lite version only brings two features and none of them are translation tools. Demo includes "word reverse" (it reverses the words you target) and "erase words" (the word you target will disappear). This is just to show you how this technology works. However, although that's interesting, it's not really useful.
Instant translations is its star feature.
ONE LANGUAGE PACK included with app purchase. Additional languages extra. Available language pairs: English ⇆ Spanish, English ⇆ French, English ⇆ Italian, English ⇆ German
Word Lens gives you translation on the go:
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world.
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, or clicking on a word.
NOTE: This paid version of Word Lens INCLUDES ONE LANGUAGE pack. Additional language packs can be purchased within the app.
Available language pairs:
+ English ⇆ Russian
+ English ⇆ Spanish
+ English ⇆ French
+ English ⇆ Italian
+ English ⇆ German
+ English ⇆ Portuguese
Notes for getting the best quality out of your translations:
- Best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- DOES NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- It's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- Keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away and tap-to-focus if autofocus is struggling.
- Turn on the flashlight (if available on your device)
- Zoom in (if available on your device)
Some features are device dependent. Not all device cameras can zoom, nor do all devices have a flashlight.
Having trouble? We want to hear from you! Email us at:
Hardware Controls: Take Pictures and Videos: Used to access the camera so we can translate what it sees.
Network Communication: Market Billing Service: Used to purchase language packs.
Network Communication: Full Internet Access: OPT-IN ONLY: Used only if you opt-in to submit errors and anonymous usage statistics to Quest Visual to help improve the product.
Network Communication: View Network State: OPT-IN ONLY: Used only if you opt-in to submit errors. Data is only reported if you opt-in and you are online and you are not roaming.
v2.2.3: Dictionary improvements. Camera resolution update for certain devices.
v2.2: English ⇆ Russian
- Portuguese ⇄ English!
- Save a screenshot of your translations, and share it online.
Some lists where this application appears: Reviewed by Emmanuel Lund.
- There aren't any comments yet, be the first to comment!