Weather Alertz Pro provides a quick and simple way to receive weather and non-weather related alerts from the U.S. National Weather Service and other government agencies.
- Uses push notifications (using Google Cloud Messaging) to send alerts to devices in near real-time. This is much faster and more battery efficient than regular polling for new alerts.
- Enter locations by zip code, county, or marine zone. Unlimited locations allowed.
- Ability to track your location through your cellular or WiFi network.
- Receive alerts for the entire U.S. and surrounding coastal waters, including Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
- Includes 15 alert categories (121 individual alert types). Lets you choose which alert types you want to be notified for.
- Notifications show up in the device's status bar. For notifications, you can play a ringtone, vibrate the device, and flash the LED lights. You can play different ringtones for weather warnings, watches, advisories, and statements. You can mute ringtones before and after particular times of the day.
- View a map showing the current alerts for the U.S. and surrounding coastal waters.
- Ability to forward individual alerts to an e-mail address or text message.
- No advertisements.
- No subscription fees or in-app purchases.
- Air Quality
- Civil Emergency
- Earthquake and Tsunami
- Fog, Smoke, and Dust
- Hurricane and Typhoon
- Thunderstorm and Tornado
- Winter Weather
Explanation of app permissions:
- INTERNET: Required to download alerts from National Weather Service servers.
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Required to track location using Cellular or WiFi networks. Users can turn off the "Use My Location" feature.
- VIBRATE: Users have the option of vibrating the device when notifications arrive.
- WAKE_LOCK: This prevents the device from sleeping when updating current location.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows the app to start up after the device is rebooted.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Devices running an Android version older than Ice Cream Sandwich require a Google account to use Google Cloud Messaging.
from 3 reviews