by: Comnaoi • 2
Try and destroy 50 asteroids in 72 seconds.
This simple demo game comes from the Android SDK. Originally written in Java, it is really a demo of using the JET audio engine more than anything. The demo has been ported to Oxygene for Java and had various bugs fixed along the way:
1) The original required a D-Pad (directional touchpad) to fire the laser. This version has been extended to support a screen touch to represent pressing the D-Pad center.
Who knows, maybe an update might have this information added to an About screen. Perhaps not though - the point is to make the compiled/fixed demo available online.
2) The original had poor thread management and would crash out (Force Close) when switched away from and then back to. This version has been amended to overcome that problem.
3) The original did not resize the title bitmaps, so they covered very little of larger displays.
4) On larger displays the help text did not fit in the place it was written thanks to fonts scaling.
5) The vertical beam was not stretched across the whole of the screen height on larger displays.
6) The asteroids didn't take up all available screen space on larger displays.
7) The space ship was cramped up on the left with little firing space on larger displays.
8) The Volume buttons were ignored, so the soundtrack volume couldn't be adjusted during gameplay.
The game is only a simple demo available to any Android developer - don't expect too much of it! It's uploaded here simply to make available the slight improvements of the bug fixes and touch support, and because it's coded in Oxygene for Java.
If there are other bugs in the game, simple as it is, please let me know and I'll try to address them.
Tags: jet game image for java , jetboy , jetboy no sound