JFrotz can be used to play Z-Machine compatible interactive fiction games, e.g., the stories created by Infocom (Zork, Enchanter, etc.) and modern stories created by the Inform compiler.
*** You will need a Story File to use JFrotz ****
A search for interactive fiction will result in a huge list. Many story files can be found on the Interactive Fiction Archive - http://www.ifarchive.org/
JFrotz supports Z-Machine compatible story files.
Story files must be saved to the device's file system, e.g., the sdcard, to be used. JFrotz does not (yet) come with any installed story files.
*** This is an initial version of the software ***
Version 0.2.4 is an initial version of the software. It has some known issues and an unpolished user interface.
JFrotz should support most of what the unix/linux version of frotz supports, e.g.:
* 1.0 Z-machine standard compliant, with the exception of scripting.
* Save/Restore in standard Quetzal Format. This allows games to be saved on your device and restored on a different computer, which works nicely with Dropbox.
* Settable rows for backscroll.
* Improved soft keyboard support, including autocomplete
* font support for accented characters
* Note: The "Fit Height" mode for the number of rows is optimized for use with either a hardware keyboard or the built-in ZBoard. It does not play well with the soft keyboard, which constantly changes the height available to JFrotz. For soft keyboard use, please choose a fixed number of rows, which will provide a backscroll.
What is currently being worked on (Expect updates at a high rate):
* Support for copy text
* Editable Command history
* Macro capability
* Story Library (in addition to basic file access)
* File playback
* Frotz hotkey functionality
JFrotz is currently available for both Android and J2ME devices.
JFrotz is completely free and open source (GPL v3) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfrotz - I am very open to suggestions and offers of help (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Frotz Inform Interactive Fiction Zork Infocom Z-Machine
Tags: jfrotz, frotz, interactive fiction, better terminal emulator frotz, zork, z-machine, zmachine, infocom zork, how to play infocom games, zork story file.
Improved soft keyboard support, including autocomplete (experimental) (0.2.4)
Font support for accented characters (0.2.4)
Resolved an issue that prevented screen width from exceeding 600 pixels (0.2.4)
Better handling of fatal errors (0.2.3)
Fixed an issue with saving of the ZBoard state (0.2.3)