Pixel Defenders Puzzle DEMO
10,000 - 50,000 downloads
- Unique mash-up of strategy, match 3, and board game
- Great, comprehensive tutorial
- Balanced, complex, challenging gameplay
- Retro look is getting.... old
+ By Gary Whittle
Strategic match-3 retro fantasy board game puzzle palooza
There are those games that are genre-less, and then there are those that present a veritable Vegas-style buffet of genres all riddled together into one. Gary Whittle Pixel Defenders Puzzle is a classic board game, a complex fantastic strategy game, and a friggin' match-3 game all at once, done up in oh-so-retro pixel finery, pleasingly reminiscent of the first Final Fantasy titles.
Each turn, you'll be presented with a tile to place upon the game board. Match three tiles to create a unit, or to upgrade one already on the board. Every turn and match accumulate action points, which you can use through your created units to attack the enemies which appear atop a ledge. If the enemies complete their own turn countdown, they'll rain down hellfire and brimstone (or arrows, or magic, or whatever) on your V.I.P., generally a prettyish princess in peril. There's a zillion little tools and upgrades, gizmos and tricks - it sounds complicated, and it is, and there's a great tutorial that walks you through the basics before you begin.
I've never seen this intermingling of genres done so well. The complexity of the rules and the gradual ramping-up of difficulty feel balanced and keep you engaged. The retro-pixel look is getting tired, but neither does such a strategy-focused game necessarily require the latest and greatest visuals known to appkind.
Note that the demo version only includes the tutorial version and the first five levels. Once you shill out for the full version, there are no in-app purchases.
Gary Whittle Pixel Defenders Puzzle is a seriously clever mash-up; we could call it the Girl Talk of strategy apps. It'll appeal to Chess nerds who secretly dabbled in D&D on the weekends. Come armed with patience, luck, and a plan for the long game.Developer's original description available here
Place, match and thwack your way through dozens of gorgeous retro-style levels, a variety of game-modes and special hand-crafted scenarios.
* The full game has NO consumable In-App-Purchases! - Just a single expansion and a pure gaming experience! *
• "you shouldn't miss this game" - 4.5/5 - Touch Arcade
• "We highly recommend Pixel Defenders Puzzle three times over." - 4/4 - Slide To Play
• "With loads of game modes, achievements and levels this is one of the best puzzle-strategy games in the App Store." - 4.5/5 - TouchGen
• "Clever and great value game" - 4/5 - The Sunday Times
• "this is much more than just another match-three puzzler." - 8/10 - EuroGamer
Pixel Defenders Puzzle is an innovative hybrid of match-3-puzzler and RPG-battler. Match pixels to create Defenders and protect princesses, kings & queens from waves of fiendish enemies!
• Strategically build a force of heroes to battle evil foes!
• Test your wits in specially designed puzzle stages!
• Take on endless hoards of enemies in the action-packed Assault Mode!
• Put your skills to the test in Endless Mode: no enemies, just unlimited pixels to match and build your high score!
• Face the ultimate challenge of the final boss battle!
• 64 Achievements to earn!
• Global high-score leaderboards!
Brought up to date with the main game.
Hey i thought i would share with you this great website where you can Download Android apps and Games Come check it out Discover the latest apps and games
this is a good awsome game can u c what i did there awsome is the title and i use the title word
Still awesome even though still demo
Good graphics, good controls, matching system reminds me of Puzzle Forge. Not for me though. Needs next pixel preview.
A few nice additions to the match-3 puzzle mold. However this game felt more like a rehash than a refreshing improvement; was going to 3 star but that's probably too harsh. Number of campaign levels(in full) seems short. Could use a story/plot, in my opinion. Endless modes, while nice to have, aren't inspiring. Good price and nice to see no IAPs.
Stupid boring atari 2600
Definitely worth $0.99 for the full version.