Dust off your old decoder ring and sharpen your code breaking skills.
Solve cryptograms with Enigma using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense as you attempt to break the code.
There are over 2,000 puzzles included with more coming in future updates. (I'm typing as fast as I can...)
A Trial Version is available too.
What is a cryptogram?
A cryptogram is a block of text that has been encrypted using a "substitution cipher". In a substitution cipher, each letter is replaced with a different one.
All letters A are changed to the letter Q.
All letters B are changed to the letter R.
This mapping of letters is different for each game.
Using patterns, letter frequencies, and common sense you attempt to determine the letter for which each of the encrypted letters stands.
The application provides several features to help you if you get stuck.
- On-Screen Navigation - Use the on-screen directional arrows to move around. Helpful if you don't have a d-pad or trackball.
- Pressing Space or Delete will clear the current letter.
- Save Game - You can save your game and come back to it if you need a break.
- Show/Hide Source - The source of the quote/text block is hidden by default. This hint will expose the source for you and hide it again to open up more screen space.
- Show Letter - When you really get stuck, this will expose the letter of your choice in the cryptogram.
- Show Puzzle - When all hope is lost, this will show you the answer to the puzzle you've been working on.
- Letter Frequency Table - Shows you the number of times a coded letter appears in the text.
- Used Letters - Shows in the keyboard display which letters are used and still available.
- Showing Duplicates - Duplicate letters are shown as italicized. So, if you enter the same letter for two different codes, Enigma will show all occurrences of that entered letter italicized.
- If you complete the puzzle without using the "Show Puzzle" option, you will be given the opportunity to email the quote to yourself or someone else.
Enigma can be customized to your personal tastes by choosing the Preferences menu item and selecting the appropriate options.
Select from different color schemes. Feel free to contact me with suggestions for more.
- Original - Reminiscent of the old green screen monitors.
- The Blues - Blue is the basis of this color scheme.
- Scarlet Letters - Deep reds make this a pleasing choice.
- Black, White, and Read All Over - A simple black and white color scheme.
Select from different Font sizes. This can be very helpful on tablets where you might want the puzzle to take up more room and be easier to manage.
- Small - Useful for smaller devices.
- Medium - The original size and still the default.
- Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size up.
- Extra-Large - Tablets will work well with this or the next size down.
Next Letter Preference
After entering a letter the focus will change based on your choice from the following options:
- Don't advance to the next letter. (Current/Default Behavior)
- Advance to the next letter.*
- Advance to the next empty letter.*
* When at the end of the puzzle, it won't wrap to the beginning.
Select from different keyboard styles.
- Normal Keyboard - This is the traditional QWERTY keyboard.
- Gallery Keyboard - The Gallery Keyboard works by listing the letters in a gallery display such that you fling them left or right to choose the letter you want to place.
Tags: enigma droid , enigma , enigma app answers , enigma coder , eyenigma app answers , enigma scancode , enigma scan code , enigm , enigma full