10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads
- New customizing features
- Scrollable docks
- Scroll effects
- Custom app icons
- In some regards the default ICS launcher is still working better
- Not substantial changes regarding scenery
+ By TeslaCoil Software
Nova Launcher is one of the first launchers made for Android 4.0
Personalizing, customizing... those words that most of the Android users love. Due to this launchers have become one of the most popular apps on the market. Actually there's an intense rivalry among them (well, among the users who are always trying to show off the way they've tuned their phone). Nova Launcher is breaking into a (so far) new niche: launchers for Android 4.0. What does it bring?
First off, custom desktop grid, scrollable dock, lots of scroll effects, infinite scroling, custom folder icons, backup/restore options and custom app icons. The layout is quite similar to the default ICS launcher. However, TeslaCoil Software, the developer of this app, has focused on making it highly customizable specially regarding layout, scrolling options and icons.
We assume that it's difficult trying to offer added-value features because the default ICS launcher is the most complete we've had so far. However, new features for both performance and scenery will be more than welcome. We've found just two catches: first off, it's quite similar to the default ICS launcher which can provoke some users doesn't feel the need to switch from one to the other. Second, it adds new features but it also change or remove others. For example, we don't really like the way it display widgets (old-style) when you select it from the app drawer top bar: there's no preview of the widgets.
Take into account though that this is a beta version and that needs to improve in some regards. We're glad to see that ICS launchers are starting to come up. It's worth to give it a go.
Accept no substitutes! Nova Launcher is the original and most polished customizable launcher for modern Android
Nova Launcher replaces your home screen with one you control and can customize. Change icon themes, colors, layouts, animations and more.
Reviewers love Nova Launcher and you will too
For my money, Nova Launcher is the best of the AOSP-style launchers available in Android. --Android Police
Nova Launcher has some very capable hands behind it --Phandroid
Our favorite is Nova Launcher, which strikes a great perfect balance between incredible performance and high customizability without getting too gimmicky and difficult to use --Lifehacker
Chock full of features you won't find in the stock launcher, and comes highly recommended --Android Central
• Ok, Google - Use Google Search's hotword right from the home screen, just say the words Ok, Google. Note: Google does not support all devices or locales yet. This limitaiton applies to Nova Launcher as well.
• Color Theme - Set the highlight accent color for the launcher
Also individual Color controls for labels, folders, unread count badges, drawer tabs and background
• Icon Themes - Find thousands of icon themes for Nova Launcher on the Play Store
• Subgrid positioning - Much greater control than standard launchers, Nova Launcher allows you to snap icons or widgets half way through the desktop grid cells
• Customize App Drawer - Custom tabs, Vertical or Horizontal scrolling, Custom effects
• Infinite scroll - Never far from your favorite page, loop through the desktop or drawer continously
• Backup/Restore - Sophisticated backup/restore system allowing you to backup your desktop layout and launcher settings
• Scrollable Dock - Create multiple docks and scroll between them
• Widgets in dock - Place any widget in your dock, such as a 4x1 music player widget
• Import Layout - No need to rebuild your desktop from scratch, Nova Launcher can import from most popular launchers. Including the one that came with your phone.
• Fast - Nova Launcher is highly optimized to do it's work quickly and quietly, keeping the animations smooth and letting you use your phone as fast as you can move your fingers.
Nova Launcher Prime
Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw
"L" style folder preview (Settings > Folders > Folder Preview > Line)
"L" style app animation (Settings > Look and Feel > App Animation > Slide Up)
"L" style search bar (Settings > Desktop > Persistent Search Bar > L, or long-press on the quick search bar widget and select Edit)
"L" style app drawer icon (Long-press on the app drawer icon and select Edit then tap the icon and select the opaque white icon under Built-in)
Fixes and optimizations
To the best launcher of all
I did not know how great my phone could look and it did not take that long! This is by far my favourite app ever. I tried a compact style then a minimalistic approach, both available using this great app, but I eventually settled on the minimalistic style which looks gorgeous on my moto g.
If you enjoy tweaking your experience on android this is for you. Found a bug - while long pressing on the home screen to bring up addition interface it is possible to use the swipe up gesture for app launcher, to get the addition menu to appear with the app drawer in the background. I could just being picky though.
I'm loving the customization!