Under development. This is far from complete. I've only tested on my Nexus 4.
Source can be found here: https://github.com/ggmathur/android-slide
* Leaves "ghost" app behind
* No visual acknowledgement that an app was selected
* Application list is slow to load
* Noticeable "jump" when launching shortcut.
* Doesn't seem to work on the Nexus 7 if you have multiple accounts.
Things I want to add:
* A better icon
* Select from a list of apps
* Trigger an action
* Explore other forms of shortcuts/gestuers
Fixed issue where app would force close if you uninstalled the selected shortcut.