by: Mu-sonic • 34
Got an English text and want to see how to pronounce it? This app will turn your English text into its phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet.
- See phonetic transcription of the whole text, not just the dictionary forms of separate words.
- Choose between British and American* pronunciation. When British dialect is selected the [r] sound at the end of the word is only voiced if followed by a vowel, which follows British phonetic convention.
- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols used.
- The structure of the text and sentences in it (line breaks, punctuation marks, etc.) is preserved in phonetic transcription output making it easier to read.
- An option to vary pronunciation depending on whether words are in stressed or weak position in the sentence, as in connected speech.
- In addition to commonly used vocabulary the database contains a very substantial amount of place names (including names of countries, their capitals, US states, UK counties), nationalities and popular names.
- Where a word has a number of possible pronunciations (highlighted in blue in the output) you can select the one that agrees with the context by tapping on it.
*) American transcriptions are based on the open Carnegie Mellon University Pronouncing Dictionary.