English Etymology Dictionary
by: Edtech Lab • 2
Containing over 47000 entries. This is the most comprehensive dictionary of English etymology.
Etymologies are not definitions; they are the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time.
This app provides an offline version of English etymology. It includes 47000 entries and detailed information.
Basic features include:
- Easy navigation
- Bookmark a word
- Search a word
The basic sources of this work are:
- Weekley's An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English
- Klein's A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the English Language
- Oxford English Dictionary (second edition),
- Barnhart Dictionary of Etymology
- Holthausen's "Etymologisches Wörterbuch der Englischen Sprache
- Kipfer and Chapman's "Dictionary of American Slang.
- And many more.
If you want to suggest a new feature or report a bug, please send feedback to us. Thank you!