Translator, Dictionary - Waygo
by: Translate Abroad • 987
Seriously folks, the future is now. Waygo's come to Android at last, which means that you too are able to point your device at characters that totally incomprehensible to you and instantaneously derive meaning, delicious meaning. Waygo translates Chinese and Japanese characters into English, instantly.
You may collect your jaw from the floor.
If you're reading this review, you're clearly learned in Roman characters, so you're able to tough it out around, say, Europe, even without being a dedicated polyglot. The world of Asian glyphs, though, has remained largely impenetrable to those with a Roman-character background without dedicated learning, probably years of it.
All you have to do is point the camera of your device at the text you want to translate. Center it in the box to get an immediate readout in English below. BAM. It really is that fast and simple. It doesn't even require a data connection.
You'll see a pinyin pronunciation of the words if you're translating from Chinese. If desired, you can also share your translations through whatever messager/social media you like.
This free version gives you the full capacity of the app, but limits daily translations to 10 maximum. An upgrade lets you translate to your hāto's content.
The negatives are obvious, and have to do with this being basically the first widely-available app of its kind: the text needs to be ultra clear in order for a proper reading, and the dictionary sometimes spits back nonsense translations at you.
That said, I'm still amazed and delighted with Waygo, and will unquestionably take it with me on my next trip to Beijing.
by Janel , Appszoom
May 08, 2014
Waygo Translator for Chinese, Japanese and Korean has arrived on Android!! Traveling to Asia? Learning Chinese, Japanese or Korean? Instantly translate printed Chinese, Japanese or Korean text to English using your smartphone camera. No data connection needed. Go like a local.
- Use your video camera as visual translator or dictionary (camera flash required)
- No data connection required
- See the pronunciation of the words
- Simply point and translate foreign text to English
- Share your translations through SMS, Facebook, Twitter and Email
Waygo is the leader in visual translation services, easily translating images of printed text offline. Waygo visual translator has been featured repeatedly in ABC News, TechCrunch, The Next Web, Tech In Asia, GigaOm, Forbes, Technode, e27 and VentureBeat as the top visual Chinese translator.
This free download is a limited version with 10 daily translations. Upgrade to lifetime unlimited Chinese, Japanese and Korean to English translations inside the Upgrade menu.
Waygo Translator & Dictionary is compatible with Android devices running Android 4.0 and up, as long as they have a rear-facing camera with a flash.
1. Best used on clear Chinese, Japanese and Korean text (currently does not recognize stylized fonts or handwriting)
2. Intended for use on printed text, not computer screens
3. If the text is small, hold the phone further away and use the zoom slider to translate more clearly
4. If text is blurry, tap the screen to focus or use the zoom slider
5. If the image is dark, turn on the Light (flash)
- Chinese (Simplified) to English
- Chinese (Traditional) to English
- Japanese to English
- Korean to English
- more coming soon!
Go to www.WaygoApp.com/menu to try Waygo translator now on a sample Chinese menu.
* Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/WaygoApp
* Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WaygoApp
NOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS
We appreciate your feedback. Please send any questions or suggestions to email@example.com