Velociraptor - Speed Limits & Speedometer
by: Daniel Ciao • 1.8K
Velociraptor creates a floating speedometer when you use apps like Google Maps (and other navigational tools), pulling data from HERE Maps to provide you with speed limits on the road, and geo-location for tracking your speed.
Easy to use and quick to set up, this app is a well-designed and undoubtedly useful in-car tool. It still has some glitches to iron out, of course, and not all areas are covered yet.
Simplicity is the app's biggest plus, and setup is straightforward. Give a few permission to allow the app to fully function, and it will walk you through all the usage steps - it's impossible to get lost within the application because it consists of only one page.
You can toggle the speedometer on or off, change units and sign style from kph and international to mph and 'Merican', and importantly, set speed limit warnings from 0% to 20% over speed limit (if you really want to know when you're pushing your luck).
While there might be a couple of competitor apps out there that provide a similar function, Velociraptor is the only one that is completely free with no ads, features Material Design, and is open source, meaning we can all contribute to making it better and more accurate over time.
Speed limits don't appear to be available on all roads yet - particularly smaller ones. Since data is pulled from HERE maps, when using with Google Maps, info can sometimes take a few extra seconds to load (since they're not fully in sync).
by Jayne , Appszoom
Apr 11, 2016
Velociraptor is a floating speed limit monitor and speedometer, a companion for any map or navigation app.
Speed limit data
1. TomTom & HERE Maps via Sygic - Monthly subscriptions
2. OpenStreetMap - Provided for free
• Coverage of OSM speed limits: http://goo.gl/tEjlbz
• Edit on your computer: https://www.openstreetmap.org
• Polished Material Design
• Automatically displays in any apps you choose (e.g. Google Maps)
• Intelligent caching & fast refresh of speed limits
• Sound alert when speed limit is exceeded
• Customize style: US and International
• Speed limit tolerance: % and integer amounts
• Transparency, size, and tap to hide settings
• GitHub (issues, feature requests): https://goo.gl/hL8O2d
• Translate the app to your language: https://goo.gl/lXNdkU
This app uses Accessibility services. These services are intended for users with disabilities. This app is not affiliated or endorsed by OpenStreetMap, HERE, TomTom, or Sygic. The developer does not bear responsibility for the accuracy of any information provided. All trademarks belong to their respective owners. Google Maps is used in screenshots for demonstration purposes only.