WhoSampled: Explore the DNA of Music
by: WhoSampled.com Limited • 3.1K
A huge percentage of the top music hits from today borrow their catchiest lines from obscure tracks of years past. The online WhoSampled community dedicate themselves to sourcing said lines, making browsing WhoSampled's database and message boards fascinating for any music lover.
The database, which is essentially a simple wiki composed of songs with samples, covers, and remixes, is searchable by both track and artist. Zoom in on any song to find out how many samples have been ID'd, plus a link to a YouTube video of where they originally came from. Some of the connections are uncanny - I guess I should have known that the trumpets in Beyoncé's Crazy In Love probably had a history, but who'd ever heard of the Chi-Lites?
Each track has a space to chat with other users about the music; looks like there's duplication here from the online message boards. There's room for improvement here; right now there's very little organization to the conversations.
Every single artist and track in every genre I could think of was included in the database. It's not 100% comprehensive, but it's close, with over 270,000 tracks by 95,000 artists. Plus, dedicated listeners are always discovering new connections!
If you've ever wanted to dig deeper into your tunes, you definitely need to try out WhoSampled.
Tags: whosampled versiones anteriores
by Janel , Appszoom
Oct 22, 2014
Discover the DNA of your favorite music! Explore WhoSampled's entire universe of deep musical knowledge and scan your local music library for samples, covers and remixes.
- The Guardian's "25 Best Android Apps of the Year" (across all categories)
- The Telegraph's "Best Music App of the Year"
- "Best Music App" in the Music Ally Digital Music Awards
- Apple's "App Store Best of Year" selection and "Editor's Choice" (iPhone version)
- Listed as one of the best apps in the world by the The Next Web, The Sunday Times, The Sunday Times and more
Where was this song sampled? Who covered my favorite artists? What remixes were made for this track? WhoSampled knows! WhoSampled is the music DNA discovery app that lets you explore the music connections in your music collection. Access the world’s largest database of sample-based music, cover songs and remixes, and discover who your favorite artists have sampled, or whether your favorite songs have been covered or remixed! It's an essential music discovery experience for lovers of Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Dance / Electronic music, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Funk, Classical or any other genre.
- Go on a journey of musical discovery built around your own music collection. Scan your local music library and discover amazing connections for the songs in it
- Easy access to the world’s largest and richest database of music DNA, with over 500,000 tracks, 200,000 artists and continuous daily additions. Search for any artist or track even if it is not in your music library
- Beautiful, clean interface. Simple and intuitive navigation makes music exploration easy
- Compare tracks side-by-side and listen to full‐length tracks, streamed through YouTube (where available)
- Highly detailed information on any sample (sample timing, sample type, part sampled) lets you pinpoint where the sample was used and compare it with the original
- Share your amazing finds on social media
- Deep and unique music charts that show you trending and top rated content as well as the all-time most influential artists and tracks
- Engage with the WhoSampled community from within the app; comment on and rate any entry in the WhoSampled database
- A host of other features and functionality including links to buy tracks, personal favorites list plus contextual recommendations from every sample, cover and remix
Dig deeper into the music you love. Dig into the WhoSampled app.