myChatDroid for Facebook Chat
by: Bruno Mendola • 9.1K
This app is successful in its goal - it used roughly half the RAM the official app did running in the background, and that was was with some extra things enabled. It doesn't sync messages that you send from other Facebook messaging apps however.
This app does what it's intended to do - it uses significantly less memory (RAM) then the official app does running in the background. By default it does not display offline contacts, but you can easily enable that in settings, and despite what it says you can message offline contacts.
The app does not sync messages that you send from other Facebook messangers such as the official app or the website. It also has ads, and is not as well designed visually as the official app - a nicer design could have been achieved whilst still meeting the low power use criteria.
Tags: mychat droid , my chat droid , mychatdroid , my chat droid for facebook , my chat droid apk , my chatdroid , mychat droid for facebook , develop chat facebook xmpp_login , my chatdroid for facebook
Feb 25, 2015
myChatDroid for Facebook is a very simple application which connects your Android device to Facebook chat.
It's not meant to be perfect... it's just a very simple chat app which doesn't waste your memory and battery.
myChatDroid for Facebook supports the following features:
- Clickable links in chat messages;
- Statusbar/Sound/Vibration/LED notifications on new messages;
- Add a friend to favourites, to be notified when he connects/disconnects;
- Messages history saved on internal database and always available after restart or disconnection;
- Automatic reconnection after connection loss.
myChatDroid requires these permissions to run:
- android.permission.INTERNET: to connect to chat server;
- android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: to check if data connection is available;
- android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: to cache avatars to SD card, for a smoother experience and memory saving;
- android.permission.VIBRATE: to notify incoming messages when the screen is off.
Please note that Facebook runs a very limited implementation of the chat protocol (XMPP), so there are a few things that won't work in any chat program:
- offline messages are not supported;
- even if you set the away status, your friends will see you as available (but you can set an automatic message from myChatDroid);
- no way to block/unblock friends or groups (you can do it from the website);
- you will only see friends that are shown in Facebook website's chat.
If you would like to see improvements on myChatDroid, please give it some stars and your well appreciated comment! ;)
Become a fan of myChatDroid to follow all updates: http://www.facebook.com/mychatdroid
THIS IS THE APP FORMERLY KNOWN AS FBChatDroid!