Skype - free IM & video calls
by: Skype • 10.3M
If you ever make international phone calls, or even if you're just looking to save the stingy minutes allowance that comes with your plan, Skype is a must-have app. Make free voice or video calls over wi-fi (or data) without spending a dime, if your contact also has Skype. If not, you can ring any phone number through Skype for mere pennies, oftentimes much cheaper than any other option. There are inevitable connection issues at times, but mostly Skype is a godsend for getting connected on the cheap with everyone you love.
Calls over wi-fi to other Skype accounts are totally free. The app syncs seamlessly with your web account, so all your contacts and messages are automatically imported to the app.
The chat function pales in comparison to its competitors, and the limited emoji are just tragic. Be super careful not to make a video call over data unless you have an unlimited data plan or money to burn.
Original review from Nov 27, 2014:
Skype was one of the great inventions brought us by the Internet and it was something we were expecting to apply to our phones.
Despite in its early days there were a bunch of bugs including an outrageous battery drain, it has been clearly enhanced in the last few years. Now, interface is neater and more user-friendly. Sound and video quality is way better; not excellent though but still over average. Anyway, it's always recommended to use it over WiFi since your data plan could be committed.
Texting has been enhanced too with a bubble-like layout, group chat and push notifications. However, that's not its strongest points. We are missing stickers, more emojis, a more intuitive file sharing and an activity timeline.
Hands down, if calls and video calls is what you need, Skype is still one of the best apps you can install on your device.
Original score: 8.3/10
Tags: skype , free skype , skype free video call , skype free im & video calls , skype free video calls , skype qr code , skype 2.2 , skype free im and video calls , skype - free im & video calls
by Janel , Appszoom
Nov 27, 2014
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Supercharge your chats with Add-Ins**: No more switching back and forth between apps. Easily share content using Add-Ins without leaving Skype.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
** Add-In availability will vary by country.
We’re gradually bringing the next generation of Skype to everyone.
If you don’t see the update yet, don’t worry, it’ll be coming very soon.
Learn more about the new design and features in the Skype Blog: https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/06/01/introducing-the-next-generation-of-skype
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.