Mobile Science - AudioSpectrum
by: R. Wisman and K. Forinash • 6
AudioSpectrum displays the frequency spectrum of a WAV file or audio sourced from AudioTime or AudioTime+.
The spectrum is displayed in linear and logarithmic scales.
* Panning and zooming allow exploration of the fine details of the spectrum.
* Ensemble spectral averaging is used to construct the spectrum of continuous audio too large for a single FFT transformation.
The application is designed for use in science education experiments that:
* investigate the frequency components of sound,
* determine the dominant frequency of audio.
Screen shots illustrate Doppler shift of sound source swinging on a pendulum.
* First shot of stationary sound source spectrum centered closely around dominant frequency of 1838.
* Second shot of moving sound source spectrum with lower frequencies as source recedes from microphone and higher frequencies as source approaches microphone.