Smart Foods Organic Diet Buddy
by: Saagara • 408
NEW **Added GMO Data**
Smart Foods - Organic Diet Buddy is your essential color coded guide to fruit and vegetables, know which you should buy organic and which are safe to buy non organic.
* Farmers Market information for all 50 States so you can include local produce in your diet.
* Farmers Market Finder - just click the pin in the top right corner to find markets nearest you.
* Nutritional info - know what vitamins each fruit and vegetable have, and what diseases they are good at protecting you against.
* Prep information - Know how to correctly wash and prepare the fruits and vegetables.
* Pesticide profiles of Fruits & Vegetables - How much is used, and if they leave a residue.
* Nutrition Calculator - Daily Fruit and Vegetable requirements for optimum health.
* GMO information - Know what fruits and vegetables are commonly GMO.
* Favorites list - Add to your favorites by clicking the "heart +" icon in the top right corner for a quick reference to your favorite foods. Great to use as a shopping list too!
Organic food is the safer choice when it comes to buying produce, as conventional varieties often contain high levels of pesticide residues. However, not everyone can afford to go 100% organic every time they shop. This app is a guide to which fruits and vegetables you should buy organic. There are some fruits/veggies that you should always buy organic, if possible, because their conventionally grown counterparts tend to be laden with pesticides.
By avoiding the foods most contaminated with pesticide residues, consumers can reduce their pesticide exposure by 80% without affecting their budgets.
Eat better with our simple tips and a farmer's market locator so you can find the good stuff locally. Add favorites and calculate how many fruits and vegetables you should be eating daily. Let the good health begin!
WHAT ARE PESTICIDES
Pesticides are used to repel, control or kill organisms in order to reduce their negative impact on agricultural products. Modern pesticides target weeds, insects, bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi and other pests that reduce agricultural yield.
Excessive pesticide contamination can be harmful to human health. Even after washing, some fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of pesticide residue than others.
Some fruits and veggies are better to buy organic, and others are safe to buy non-organic. Some fruits and vegetables require very few pesticides for growth. Some, due to tough skins or peels, absorb fewer residues.
Many fruits and vegetables, however, are sprayed with multiple pesticides, and act like sponges, absorbing residues that are difficult to wash off entirely. Peaches have very thin skin, and are hard to wash, so it is recommended that you buy organic if you can.
Curious about GMO's and the adverse effects they may have on us and our environment? Check out this article http://blog.saagara.com/gmo-knows/
FIND LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS
Shopping at your local Farmers' Market is good for you and it's good for your town. Where else can you talk right to the producers and know exactly where your food comes from, and how it's grown?
Need more reasons to shop local? Check out this great article: http://blog.saagara.com/5-reasons-to-shop-at-farmers-markets/
Saagara is an Ann Arbor based Digital Health Company, whose founders have an eclectic background including medicine, design, engineering, and yoga/meditation.
Through the use of software available on mobile platforms, we make small changes in people's lifestyle for dramatic improvements in their health and well-being. With technology, community, and raised awareness, we wish to do this on a global level.
For more information on Saagara and our philosophy, please visit www.saagara.com
Tags: kill the buddy , smart foods organic diet buddy