Single Parenting Guide
by: Quality MRRs ltd. • 4
Here are just some of the major, initial challenges most single parents face :
(NOTE: you might actually recognize a few already or be able to add a couple of your very own…)
- Coping with loss (of a partner, lover, friend and fellow-parent)
- Assuming additional roles and responsibilities (being everything to everyone)
- Enabling and Adjusting to the new role and circumstances
- Providing continuity and avoiding disruption for the children and family
- Helping children cope with the situation, loss and circumstance
- Dealing and coping with own emotions and changed condition
- Battling societal prejudice and stigma of single-parent homes and care-giving
- Adequate care and fostering the needs of the children
- Maintaining self-confidence in the eyes and judging of others (stereotyping)
- Feelings of doubt, low self-esteem and inadequacy
- Balancing effective parenting with career (work/home) life
- Time and financial constraints
- Dealing with the rest of the family, step family, new romantic interests, dating and support networks
Here are some of the strategies that can help you right away as a single parent on this road/path/journey ahead:
- Learn to speak directly WITH your children NOT at them
- Loving, consistent discipline with tough rules that matter and are the same day-to-day, providing security in uncertainty are essential - communicate and execute them well in all that you do and attempt.
- Clear communication and firm decision-making will lead the way for and in your new family unit.
- Multi-tasking and managing many different things, roles and responsibilities all by yourself and sometimes all at once too!
- Making every second count and working SMARTER, not HARDER!
- Doing more with less really counts!
- Being a committed parent EVERY MOMENT, taking all responsibility for attention and care of their children
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO/TRY IT ALONE! Use and call on support and reaching out to others will keep you sane
This social and societal reality we refer to as SINGLE PARENTING - that we increasingly find ourselves in - can be highly intricate and quite complex. It deals with social, emotional and even economic pressures that needs and demands, help and support.
This guide is intended to assist single parents in their plight and challenges and focus on some real-life issues, answers and solutions to help them rebuild, live and enjoy their lives to its fullest potential.
This book came to be, for the situations and circumstances, challenges and rewards surrounding single parenting is real, complex and needs to be addressed with some practical solutions that fit, work and last.