The Contemplative Journey V1
by: Sounds True Inc • 0
In the darkest hour of the darkest age, Christian monks developed a meditation tradition unique in the Western world. A 14th-century author described their profound mystical experience as entering “the cloud of unknowing.” Yet during the 500 years after this great monastic flowering, this precious tradition—and the direct path to union with God it described— was virtually lost. For decades, Father Thomas Keating, together with other monks, examined this great question—could anyone enter the cloud of unknowing through a prayer practice specifically created to attain it?
On the Contemplative Journey, Volume 1, app, Father Keating shares the authentic tradition of Christian contemplation that emerged from his spiritual search: a uniquely Christian meditation technique that is similar to Eastern mystical practices. From infancy, Father Keating begins, we accumulate emotional layers, or “programs,” as a result of traumatic experiences. Centering Prayer engages directly with the unconscious and loosens old traumas that hinder our spiritual development. This “divine therapy” has brought profound inner transformation into the lives of thousands of people. Join Father Keating to explore:
- The complete history, theory, and daily practice of Centering Prayer
- The four elements essential to your spiritual health
- Three on-the-spot questions to diagnose core troubles
- How to overcome deeply ingrained habits with prayer
- The sacred word that revitalizes your prayers
The Contemplative Journey app is Father Thomas Keating's great masterwork, a curriculum devoted to a Christian path for achieving the still point of resting in God.
The Contemplative Journey, Volume 1, app features:
- In-depth training in Centering Prayer with Father Thomas Keating (10 hours, 45 minutes of audio)
- A study guide to help deepen your understanding
- A Good Minute—video selections that offer concentrated wisdom to inspire you anytime
- A relaxing slide show
- An interactive vine garden to enjoy while listening (iPad only)
- Bookmarking to help you easily find your favorite content
About the Author
Father Thomas Keating’s life is lived in the service of sharing the gifts God gave him with others. He is an internationally renowned theologian and accomplished author, and he draws from over sixty years of study and prayer as a Trappist monk in sharing the centuries-old wisdom of the contemplative Christian tradition. One of the principal architects of the contemplative Christian prayer movement, Father Keating helped found both the Snowmass Interreligious Conference and Contemplative Outreach, Ltd, and is also a past president of the Temple of Understanding and of the Monastic Interreligious Dialogue. He is author of many books, including Open Mind, Open Heart.