iCare Personal Emergency Alert
by: Fantasy Software • 3
This app was presented at i-CREATEe 2013 (South Korea) as well as Google Developer's Group DevFest in Singapore (12 Oct 2013). It won the First Prize (Gold Award) for Singapore Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) Security Awareness For Everyone (S.A.F.E.) Programme 2013. It was featured in Home Team news: http://www.hometeam.sg/article.aspx?news_sid=20131107EThWHoCrEo4R.
iCare Personal Emergency Alert System provides an automatic fall detection and emergency alert solution in which a person can summon help even if he is unconscious or unable to get up after a fall. It is a low-cost alternative to a costly dedicated medical alert system. When a fall is been detected, iCare will alert a predefined list of caregivers via SMS or phone call, or both.
Why fall detection? Fall is a significant health risk for the elderly and people with disability as a fall can lead to serious injury. Besides falls, other medical emergencies like stroke or heart attack can be life-threatening if emergency response is delayed.
iCare can also be used as a safety alert solution for anyone to seek help when encountered with a dangerous situation.
iCare addresses the shortcomings of existing fall detection apps through:
- More efficient power management with partial wake lock and using GPS only in the event of an emergency- that means less drain on the battery.
- Up to 5 caregivers contact numbers can be configured. All these caregivers will be alerted in the event of an emergency.
- Custom emergency message.
- Speakerphone is used when phone call to caregiver is made, so that the communication is possible even the smartphone is out of reach.
- Sensitivity of fall detection algorithm can be adjusted to different smartphones' accelerometers.
- False fall detection is reduced through the use of inactivity period (configurable).
- Other settings can be configured: use of audio, vibration, location (GPS) reporting, how much time is given to user to cancel a false detection before alert SMS/phone call is made.
Known limitation: Currently the order which caregivers are called cannot be changed. This will be enhanced in the future.
Tags: personal emergency