Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus
by: MobiSystems • 27.9K
For writers and language lovers, the Advanced English & Thesaurus app is head and shoulders better than any standard dictionary. The Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University here organizes words in a way that makes intuitive sense, aiding both in understanding standard meaning and in terms of increasing verbal functionality.
What does this amount to for the user? A standard search for a term will bring up its home page complete with a range of definitions and examples of it used in context - standard dictionary results. The links to related terms are what's really cool - depending on the word, you'll find tappable links to synonyms, antonyms, "similar to...", "related to...", "a value of...", hyponyms (a word or phrase whose semantic field is included within that of another word, like red:color), and hypernyms (the reverse of hyponym).
For example, I looked up the term boogie. I get that it's "related to..." the term boogie-woogie, its hypernym is dance, and it's "similar to..." trip the light fantastic. Groovy indeed.
You can add bookmarks to terms that truly tickle your fancy, check out the word of the day, and keep track of the last 50 words in your search history.
The only complaint I have is that the word bank lacks the term "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis," which I suppose is mildly forgivable given how handy the app is overall.
Mobile Systems, Inc.'s Advanced English & Thesaurus app is a huge boon for anyone with a love for the English language, or who wondered how we might go about building a better dictionary.
Tags: advanced english & thesaurus , thesaurus , dnet , generic thesaurus , advanced english and thesaurus , advanced english , english thesaurus , advanced english & thesaurus database , advance english & thesaurus
by Janel , Appszoom
Oct 11, 2013
WordNet is a large lexical database of English with up to 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts:
• helps you to better understand the word meanings,
• facilitates the quick finding of the correct meaning,
• allows you to quickly memorize words.
Also included a Comprehensive Dictionary and Thesaurus:
• Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
• Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting.
• Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
• Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
NEW! Translate words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
• Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds
• Use our Voice search when you don't know how an entry is spelled
• NEW! Tap to Translate entries in other apps.
• Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
• Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies the way you see fit the 'Favorites' option allows you to create custom folders with lists of words from the vast library of entries
• ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
• Learn a new word every day with our ‘Word of the day’ option
• Home screen widget providing random words at a glance
Get even more with PREMIUM:
• Priority support - Get expedited support for any app-related issues
• No ads - no more in-app advertisements