by: TheFreeDictionary.com – Farlex • 258.6K
This isn't just a dictionary in which you input a word and it brings you back a definition. Of course, it includes that feature taking definitions from multiple dictionaries (medical, legal, financial...) and Encyclopedias and Thesaurus. (up to 13 languages). You can jump to definition, translation or Thesaurus with one button. However, it also includes some other interesting features.
For example, you can listen to word's pronunciation. It includes an extensive offline dictionary which means you'll be able to search words even without an Internet connection. You can create bookmarks of your favorites words, share dictionary pages through Facebook, Twitter, E-mail or any other sharing resources installed on your mobile device.
Its strongest point is a customizable home which is a user dashboard, from where you can search word, translate it, discover "The word of the day", read the "Article of the Day" and the "Quote of the day", "Day in History", "Today's Birthday", "In the news", "Weather", "Hangman" game, "Spelling bee" (different difficulty levels), "Words withing words" (game), even "Horoscope" and "Match up" (game). It's a pity that all this features are not available in all languages.
In a nutshell, a dictionary which takes some learning resources and becomes a comprehensive language-learning app. Recommendable.
Tags: free dictionary , dictionary , dizionario pro farlex , world reference dictionary , freedictionaryfor , arabic abbreviation , dictionary s , farlex dictionary , arabic encyclopedia
by Manu , Appszoom
May 10, 2012
The only free online and offline dictionary and thesaurus with every word you look up. Millions of definitions from the most trusted sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms, antonyms, and related words
Word of the Day
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ dictionaries in one user-friendly app.
See why we have top ratings after millions of downloads:
* Find every word you look up.
Clear, precise definitions from the best dictionaries—online and offline dictionary access.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with an easy-to-use interface helps you find the perfect word every time.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Learn the words you look up. Featuring:
* Explore your favorite topics.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play fun word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, Match Up, and more.
* Watch idioms in action.
Play idioms videos inside the app! Animated definitions of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages:
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
Italian dictionary and thesaurus
Portuguese dictionary and thesaurus
Russian dictionary and thesaurus
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from industry-leading publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here's what makes The Free Dictionary the easiest dictionary app to use:
* Define any word in any app. Just highlight the word and "share" with The Free Dictionary app.
* Voice search. Look up any word just by saying it.
* Look up any word on the page. Just highlight it and tap the search icon.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to any device.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Advanced searches.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Sound too good to be true?
Read real reviews to see why our users say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).