by: Chintan Sanghvi • 1
"quickpark" is a hassle-free and technologically savvy way to find parking and make parking payments for San Diegans. With enabling payments for parking spots over hand-held devices, this app delivers substantial functionality over and above any parking based app currently available in Google Play(TM) app store, per our research. It uses the parking data sets made available by CCDC in order to qualify for the AT&T San Diego Apps Challenge.
Some noteworthy features of this app include:
* Allows users to browse parking locations, and navigate to a parking location.
* Enables payments for parking, thus obviating the need to carry quarters and the hassle of finding them. This way, users have a payment option in case the parking meter is not functioning properly. Many drivers who prefer to park with private lots due to the unavailability of quarters can now park with CCDC parking spots, thus increasing revenues for the City.
* Allows users to increase parking time by paying for additional time on their handset. This way users donot have to return back to their car to increase parking time.
* Remembers parking location, and navigates users to their parked cars.
* Features an admin login page for a city official to view information about parked cars, including the ability to view spots with expired parking times. For a parking enforcement officer, this means readily available information of all expired parking spots, without the need to drive around and check each and every parking spot.
This app is written for Google's Android(TM) operating system. It is not currently available on the Google Play store for download, so we are providing a link to our app with this submission. To verify users, the app uses Google's Federated Login authentication, while it uses Google's In-App payment mechanism to handle payments. This app has been tested on multiple Android-based handsets, such as:
HTC Evo(TM) 4G.
Samsung S2 Skyrocket(TM).
It has currently only been tested on smartphone devices, but should as easily work on tablets and other hand-held Android devices featuring a GPS system.
This app has tremendous scope for future expansion. We are targetting two strategies for expansion:
* Functionality expansion: In the future, we intend to enable users to not only view nearby parking spots, but also find out the nearest available parking spot. We envision a San Diego Downtown on a busy Saturday evening, where you could drive in and discover the closest available parking spot at your fingertips while also paying for it in advance as you drive over to the spot. This will be another huge feature and will need some additional backend support from the City of San Diego. With this feature, San Diegans will save on plenty of time, gas and effort spent fruitlessly circling in search of a parking spot. We also hope to incorporate parking information from private vendors, such as Ace Parking, thus making it a complete one-stop parking application for San Diegans.
* Platform expansion: We also intend to make this app available across multiple platforms, including Apple's iOS (TM) operating system. We will have multiple user authentication and payment options, including AOL(TM), PayPal(TM) and Hotmail(TM). This will allow us to open our app to the benefit of as many users as possible.
Please Note: Currently Payment options are not integrated into the system. Payments are dummy and should not be used. Feature will come soon