Africa: Live Safari Sightings
by: App Developer Studio • 90
WINNER: BEST TRAVEL APP IN AFRICA (VISA AND SOUTH AFRICA TOURISM AWARDS 2014).
Africa: Live helps you find and share real-time African animal sightings on your phone or tablet as well as generate data for conservation. It is a must-have for any African safari, whether to Kruger or Addo, Serengeti or Pilanesberg.
Our live safari sightings map shows you what animals are near you right now (as reported by over 40,000 other app users) and allows you to easily and immediately share your sightings with other safari goers or anyone watching the map around the world, as well as for use in conservation research. You can easily add your own sightings and photos directly and immediately to the map.
Within the app you can purchase detailed offline maps of the major parks in South Africa including: Kruger Park, Hluhluwe, Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo Elephant Park, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, iSimangaliso (St Lucia), Ndumo, Ithala, Gondwana and uMkhuze. These maps include 10,000KMs of tar, dirt and 4X4 trails, footpaths, waterholes, hides, viewpoints, picnic spots, gates and other points of interest.
The app also includes (as an in-app purchase) the Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide which has over 90 minutes of audio commentary by a leading ranger on the animals your likely to see on your game drives as well as hundreds of stunning photos including spoor, skulls, scat and distribution maps.
The help section includes gate opening times and park contact details.
- The ONLY live map of Africa showing your location and the location of recent animal sightings.
- Clickable, colour-coded markers showing sighting details, descriptions and a photo.
- One-touch to add a sighting to the map yourself, including uploading your own photo. NOTE: because of poaching issues, RHINO SIGHTINGS WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE MAP.
- Detailed offline maps of major parks in South Africa (note: this is an in-app purchase).
- Phone Ranger Safari Field Guide which has over 90 minutes of audio commentary by a leading ranger on the animals your likely to see on your game drives as well as hundreds of stunning photos including spoor, skulls, scat and distribution maps.
- Live text stream of new sightings.
- Search for sighting by how recent or species.
- Dynamic Q&A. If you're not sure what it is you're looking at, or what it is doing just ask us via the map and we'll answer (or if we can't, our Facebook friends will!).
- Safari tips, contact details and lots more useful information.
- Contribute to our citizen-scientist research database: we catalogue, analyse and will share sightings data with conservation bodies to support wildlife audits.
- A desktop version of the map can be viewed www.wildafricalive.com. However performance of the desktop version of this map will be highly limited on a mobile device.
- The map and social media stream require phone network coverage to be updated, although sightings can now be recorded with no phone network using the offline maps. These will automatically be uploaded later.
Offline maps cover: Kruger Park, Hluhluwe, Imfolozi, Pilanesberg, Addo Elephant Park, Kgalagadi, Madikwe, Marakele, iSimangaliso (St Lucia), Ndumo, Ithala and uMkhuze
Tags: knp sightings