Basque Country Cuisine
by: Sutro Media • 2
Life in the Basque Country centers around food. Spread across the French and Spanish borderlands and wedged between the Atlantic and the Pyrenees, the land of the Basques is brimming with Michelin stars, tapas bars, and world-class restaurants. This app offers a practical gastronomical and cultural guide to this fascinating and ancient land as Mark Ayling takes readers to the nexus between venerable Basque traditions and latest culinary innovations they inspire. From medieval fishing ports to the gleaming Guggenheim, working-man taverns to the Michelin-starred restaurant of Juan Mari Arzak, The Basque Country: Cuisine and Culture has every angle of the Spanish Basque Country covered.
Whether you're in search of white linen dining experiences or the perfect “pintxo” (Basque tapas), this app makes sense of a seemingly endless gamut of restaurants, bars, and wineries. Use Mark's reviews to locate precisely what you seek and compare photos of plates to narrow down your choices and read up on the latest culinary currents in the most dynamic gastronomical center of Europe.
Hungry for more? Like with most things in the Basque Country, the first taste is never enough. So bite into this app and come see it for yourself.
- 200+ entries of restaurants, museums, nightlife, tapas bars, and historical sights
-1000+ photos of each restaurant's dishes/decór to better inform your decision of where to eat
- Interactive maps of thee best bites nearest to you
- Detailed guide to “pintxo” (tapas) bars with photos of each pintxo and lists of the house specialties.
- Reviews of restaurants for every budget – from 3-course meals for 10€ to 15-course 200€-a-head blowouts
- Special section on Michelin-starred restaurants to help you decide what best suits your style and budget.
- Touristic and cultural sights with historical insight to demystify the ancient culture of the Basques.
- Menu Decoder to make sense of those difficult to pronounce Basque words!
- Reviews of 17 coastal villages so you can plan day trips or navigate the coastal road from Bilbao to San Sebastián.
- Save money with local €-saving secrets like the “pintxo pote,”the “menú degustación,” the “zurito” and much more...
Please understand that this guidebook includes plenty of reviews of sights and restaurants but NO INFO ABOUT HOTELS. Also, this first version of the app only includes the three main Spanish Basque provinces. It does not cover Navarra or the three Basque provinces in France.
★ About the Author ★
Though originally from California, Mark Ayling feels quite comfortable in his adopted home, San Sebastián. Mark has dedicated a year traversing the Basque Country from Bilbao to Biarritz to satisfy his palate and curiosity. This guidebook is the fruit of his travels and the product of his passion for everything Basque. Mark is a freelance journalist, restless traveler and aspiring polyglot. He also writes for the MatadorNetwork and OffTrackPlanet. Before coming to the Basque Country, Mark worked at an NGO in rural India, backpacked through Asia, rode across Vietnam in on a Russian motorbike, and walked El Camino de Santiago. He hopes this app will help you find all the wonders he's discovered in the Basque Country.
★ About Sutro Media ★
This guide is published in partnership with Sutro Media. By enabling local writers to share their expertise on mobile phones, Sutro Media is making it easier and more fun to explore the world!
If you have any problems, comments, or suggestions for improvement, we'd love to hear from you - email@example.com