by: XperimentalZ Games Inc. • 46
Somewhere deep in the bowels of Vietnam, Flappy Bird lies awake at night wishing it were slicker, sleeker. If only it could shed its flappiness, its birdocity, and morph into something more legit and just as addictive. Birdbrain, meet XperimentalZ Games Inc.'s Platforms, an incredibly difficult minimalist platformer that inspires just the same instantaneous compulsive behavior loop, plucked of all the feathers.
Control the leaps and bounds of an ever-progressing blue square. Don't fall off the black platforms (also squares), don't touch the red enemies (squares, also), and feel free to collect the yellow coins (these are represented by squares). Your score goes up for every second you stay alive, which won't be too long your first few (several) (hundred) run-throughs - the game is deliriously difficult, requiring extreme precision and razor-sharp reactions. In the repeated failure, you'll find masochistic addiction on the level of some schedule 2 drugs, also known as "gaming zen."
I'm actually serious; devs revving up the difficulty in m-gaming seem to be tapping into some kind of psychological mechanism that compels us to play, slack-jawed, again and again. It appeals to our sense of risk and reward in a way that more complex games don't; it's a new strategy for success (one that's led to 50 bajillion Flappy-Whatevers in the app stores).
Play Platforms in either Endless or Dailies mode. In the former you'll face a randomized amalgamation of friendly and evil bricks (what are we kidding, they're all evil); the latter offers 3 new "fixed" levels to beat each day.
Go on, give XperimentalZ Games Inc.'s Platforms a whirl. It'll quickly evolve into many, many squaredeaths. It's a casual, supremely difficult game for those who crave the compulsion of Crappy Turd combined with the indie cred of Pretentious Game. It's a fun timekiller, and maybe I'm reading too much into the human condition based on a few pixels. I'm done here.
by Janel , Appszoom
Mar 07, 2014
Platforms Unlimited is a procedural, minimalistic, zen, madly hard one-button endless platformer! Uninventing the genre to extirpate its core. An arcade game like in the old times when simplicity, fun and challenge ruled.
This is a premium app without ads or IAP.
---- Mentions by the Press----
- Announced on Android Police, Android and Me, DroidGamers and AndroidShock
- SuperGameDroid "it’s addictive yet challenging gameplay make Platforms Unlimited a must play"
- Cult of Mac, 4/5 “What [Platforms Unlimited] is … is addictive.”
- Touch Arcade, 4/5 “An endless supply of constantly evolving environments, coupled with finely tuned jumping, will keep you coming back for a long time”
- 148Apps 4.5/5 “Platforms Unlimited takes the formula of The Impossible Game and similar titles: geometric shapes thrust into platforming environments filled with adversity. This game’s twist? Procedurally-generated levels. This immense variety serves as the core of an incredibly well-made game.”
- iPlayApps.de, “This challenging arcade platformer pulled us into its spell ...”
- Covered at the 148Apps Live Show
- Pocket Gamer 4/5 “Deft controls and smart random level generation lead to one of the freshest endless-runners in some time”
- AppsZoom 3.5/5 “Eat my minimalist shorts, Flappy Bird”
- Minimalistic: Touch the screen to jump, touch longer to jump farther.
- Avoid red enemies.
- The score increases by 1 every second.
- Collect coins for a bonus of 4 score points. Also used for rewards.
- Collect power-ups for gameplay bonuses.
- The difficulty lies in the required jumping precision and the analysis of procedural levels to find a way through.
- The sound effects on landing are characterized by the level, which helps on memorization.
This results in a game far from being impossible but very challenging. Once the learning curve passed, sky is the limit!
- Procedural endless levels: every game feels different (unlike games like Flappy birds).
- Dailies: beat 3 new 'fixed' levels every day.
- Missions system: complete up to 3 missions in a game for coins rewards.
- Power-ups and trails upgrades: use your rewards to unlock and upgrade power-ups or to change the look of your trail.
- Armageddon mode. No power-up. Coins don't give score bonuses. How long can you survive?
- Google Game Service: leaderboard and achievements
by Matthew Arnold
Jun 13, 2016 | "Poor"
Won't open, just crashes . EDIT .. STILL BROKEN !!!!