NASA Astronomy Pic. of the Day
by: TwZ • 64
NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day is a wallpaper application which you can set a different wallpaper from the archive every day.
You can also set it automatically and enjoy the more of 5800 pictures available from Space Missions, Astronauts, Astronomy and others. In addition to the picture, you will be able to check information about them and improve your knowledge in all things space.
TwZ is the developer of NASA APOD, an app whose source is the APOD NASA website and includes beautiful pictures, perfect for those interested in knowing more about the universe and having a different wallpaper every day.
Tags: apod viewer , nasa pic of day
by Anna , Appszoom
Oct 25, 2013
Set a beautiful new wallpaper from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) archive every day (even automatically if you want) and enjoy all images from the APOD and NASA Image of the Day repository in this app! Each day a new image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with an explanation written by a professional astronomer. This means that Fresco let's you discover the cosmos with NASA images! Fresco contains an enormous database featuring over 5800 fascinating images about Space Missions (from Apollo to STS Space Shuttle missions to orbiters like Cassini and rovers like Spirit, Opportunity and Curiosity), Astronauts, Astronomy, beautiful Nebula and loads more!
For support and feedback please use Twitter: @ToverbalApps !
This app was designed to give you a very responsive and polished user experience, so expect a fast and useful UI, great features: Sharing images, adding them as favorites, randomizing a grid of images to find a great new image, setting images as wallpaper and even a feature to set today's image as wallpaper automatically, so everyday when you wake up you will have another awesome wallpaper to look at!
Yes, there are other apps showing similar or even the same images as Fresco, but Fresco works better. Fresco has no problem with special characters. Fresco does not need any special permissions that have nothing to do with the app. Fresco is the app you're looking for!
The source of the images is the Astronomy Picture Of the Day website of the NASA.
Other tags include Solar System, Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, Eris, Star, Black hole and loads more!
- Fixed a bug in database initialization which could cause spontaneous re-initializations and crashes
- Added a pop-up icon in the action-bar for all devices (devices without HW buttons already had that icon)
- Changed sharing, so you can share the actual image in stead of a link to it
- Increased responsiveness of the app
- Removed the Image of the Day (NASA) archive, due to the change of the website of the NASA, this cannot be kept up-to-date.
- The notification will now correctly be removed when a new new wallpaper has been selected (e.g. when you select an alternative).
- Fixed a bug where a CPU of your phone could go up to 100% usage due to the NASA IOTD images not being available (anymore)
- Removed all NASA IOTD images, since NASA changed the method of exposing this data. This will be fixed in the next version (probably somewhere in August), for now only APOD images will be available.
- Decreased the amount of error reports being sent to only the unexpected ones
- Added the possibility to send anonymous user statistics (this is enabled by default and can be disabled in the preferences)
- Improved the random crashes fix and don't let Fresco crash anymore when it occurs.
- Added a setting to send catched crash reports for better inspection of the root cause of the random crash bug (no sensitive/private data will be sent, you can disable this in the settings screen)
- Fixed an issue where downloading images after a reboot would only occur after you started the app at least once
- Improved the random crashes fix (on some devices the crashes still occur, hopefully everything is ok now)
- Improved the speed of downloading new entries
- Fixed a spontaneous crash that could occur sometimes (due to an out of memory error)
- Fixed random crashes in alarm manager (app keeps crashing on certain devices)
- Widgets were still not clickable sometimes, tried to fix that (again)
(...and loads more)