by: Darned Sock Productions • 5
Loose Strands is a witty, interactive story app for tablets which lets your kids' imagination run wild. Readers choose what clues to pursue and what to explore, as they swipe their way through the story, following strands of hair that twist across the pages.
What's hair got to do with it? This imaginative story follows Rolland, the son of a poor family who is trapped in world where everything is made of hair from the family’s barber shop. One day, a little girl appears at his window, and together they discover the secrets inside and beyond the barber shop. A whole world of exploration and discovery is unlocked.
This is the perfect app for readers with a short concentration span. Each time you read, the story takes a different path (with dozens of possible adventures), through a visual map that you can reference from the bookmark menu. So it's perfect to keep you engaged while reading alone, but also a great option for reading as a family.
The artwork is gorgeous, it's only a shame there's no narration (but I guess reading aloud or letting the voices in your head jump out are what learning and imagination are all about).
This premium version features the full novel, along with interactive features and hidden pages. A highly recommended, interactive reading app from Darned Sock Productions.
by Jayne , Appszoom
Oct 24, 2014
Explore the mystery of the barbershop in this interactive adventure novel.
* Winner: Best App for Children: 2015 Digital Book Awards.
* Winner: Best Apps for Teaching and Learning by the American Association of School Librarians.
* Shortlisted for the Bologna Digital Ragazzi Award
* 4 stars out of 4 — USA Today
* "Truly impressive... entrancing." - Kirkus 'starred' review.
* Choose what clues to follow and what areas to explore
* Find all 20 hidden pages, 3 hidden diaries, and optionally explore the town outside Roland's house.
* Sneak your way through Roland's house on a navigable map.
* See the consequences of your choices, as pages disappear with every decision, culminating in a climactic scene unlike anything you've read before.
Roland Bartholomew Dexter the Third has never been outside of his family's barbershop. When he begins to suspect that someone's keeping his family trapped, he tries to discover who, and why. One day a little girl appears at his window, and together they discover that the barber shop is full of secrets, the town outside his window is quite unusual indeed, and that his strange dreams may be the key to saving his family.
***This is the full interactive novel. There are no in-app purchases or add-ons.***
Requires iPad 2 or newer.