by: Quartz • 10.2K
Quartz is a news reading app that curtails the news to what you really want to read. You can determine what is interesting and what isn't, and then you will see more of that reading. There is a catch, however, and that is that the stories only stay there for a few minutes.
The biggest pros here is the quality of writing. The app claims that the stories are written by humans, and you can really tell that it is true. The stories are almost always exactly what you are interested in, and if it isn't, you can change what you want to see. You don't always get bombarded with news, either. Instead, you can set when you want to receive alerts and when you don't.
Some of the content that you receive is a little fluffy - including quizzes and some of the "clickbait" that you see from other news sites.
Feb 12, 2016
Quartz's news app puts the entire global economy in your pocket. It's an ongoing conversation about the news, sort of like texting. We'll send you messages, photos, GIFs, links, and—our newest treat—3D objects that you can view in augmented reality.
You decide when you're interested in learning more about a news item. Each session lasts just a few minutes, so it's perfect for the train, elevator, grocery store line, or wherever you have a spare moment. And here's the secret about our little news bot: It's written by humans! Smart journalists who just want to keep you informed and entertained.
We're proud to have been named an Apple editors' choice and one of the 10 best iPhone apps of 2016. Some other accolades we're not exactly bashful about:
• GQ's 100 best things in the world right now
• Fast Company's 8 must-download apps for your new iPhone
• CNET's favorite apps of 2016
• Business Insider's best iPhone apps of 2016
• OK, we'll stop now :)
The app is really simple to use. Here are some other features:
• Experience the news in AR. When telling you about an interesting object that's in the news, we may invite you view a 3D model of it right there in front of you.
• Notifications that are relevant and fun. You decide which alerts to receive, and we won't buzz your phone unless it's really, really important.
• Sometimes our notifications also come with photos, charts, animated GIFs, or other media attached to them. Pretty crazy.
• Take a 24-hour break from news about the US president with Trump Snooze.
• On the Today screen, view our most interesting chart of the moment.
• Apple Watch owners, gauge the markets with an emoji on your watch face.
• No more news? Relax. We'll give you a quiz or something else to do.
This app is a new way to read the news that's really made for your phone. We hope you like it. Let us know what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!