Dictionary.com: English Words
by: Dictionary.com, LLC • 207.7K
It's an unabridged dictionary and thesaurus in your pocket for free. What more do you need to know?
Alright - a few specs on the ultra-useful Dictionary.com app. The database includes well over 2,000,000 definitions of English words, all of which are downloaded onto your device for reference use either on or offline. The thesaurus feature is also just as rich in synonyms and antonyms as its online counterpart. Word nerds will delight in the ample example sentences, etymological information, and audio pronunciation.
It's easy to save favorite terms for quick revisiting, and your search history is automatically logged as well. You can have the Word of the Day sent daily through a push notification if you wish. The "locally trending" search feature will display what folks are looking up in your vicinity, which is rather pointless yet fun in a looky-loo kind of way. There's a built-in translator for over 50 languages that does as decent a job as any automatic translation service does - that is to say, the results are choppy but potentially useful.
The Dictionary.com app is exactly what you want it to be, and that it functions smoothly both on- and offline is a huge boon. It's perfect for vocabulary newbies and glossary geeks alike.
by Janel , Appszoom
Jul 05, 2013
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.