Waygo - Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Translator
by: Translate Abroad • 354
Seriously folks, the future is now. With Waygo, you point your device at characters that totally incomprehensible to you and instantaneously derive meaning, delicious meaning. That's right: Waygo translates Chinese and Japanese characters into English, instantly.
You may collect your jaw from the floor.
If you're reading this review, you're clearly learned in Roman characters, so you're able to tough it out around, say, Europe, even without being a dedicated polyglot. The world of Asian glyphs, though, has remained largely impenetrable to those with a Roman-character background without dedicated learning, probably years of it.
All you have to do is point the camera of your device at the text you want to translate. Center it in the box to get an immediate readout in English below. BAM. It really is that fast and simple. It doesn't even require a data connection.
You'll see a pinyin pronunciation of the words if you're translating from Chinese. If desired, you can also share your translations through whatever messager/social media you like.
This free version gives you the full capacity of the app, but limits daily translations to 10 maximum. An upgrade lets you translate to your hāto's content.
The negatives are obvious, and have to do with this being basically the first widely-available app of its kind: the text needs to be ultra clear in order for a proper reading, and the dictionary sometimes spits back nonsense translations at you.
That said, I'm still amazed and delighted with Waygo, and will unquestionably take it with me on my next trip to Beijing.
by Janel , Appszoom
May 08, 2014
Waygo is the award winning leader in visual translation services, your offline travel translator and dictionary app for Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Our technology allows you to hover your phone's camera over foreign text and instantly translate and read that text in English.
Real customer reviews:
"It was my 'Life Saver' in my trip to China..."
"Using it now in Japan!. So worth the cost of unlimited translations..."
"A must for travel to China..."
"Happy User. Perfect! Very Useful!"
Perfect for travel in China, Japan and Korea, you can instantly read text using our visual translator and learn the language. No data connection needed. Translate Chinese, Japanese or Korean into English offline when traveling in Asia.
Why should I choose Waygo?
- Free to download and try with all languages and features included
- Instant offline OCR and translation that we built from the ground up
- Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Kanji, Korean
- Use your video camera as a visual translator or dictionary
- No data connection required
- Translate any menu or sign and never feel lost in translation again
- See pictures of the food dish you are translating (Chinese only)
- See and hear the pronunciation of the words
- Simply point and translate foreign text to English
- Share your translations through SMS, Facebook, Twitter and Email
We have been featured repeatedly in ABC News, The New York Times, TechCrunch, The Next Web, BBC, Tech In Asia, GigaOm, Forbes, Technode, e27 and VentureBeat.
This free trial is limited to 10 daily translations. Select your language from the top menu. Upgrade to unlimited translations through the in app purchases in the settings menu.
Waygo Camera Translator is compatible with iOS devices running iOS 8.0 and up, as long as they have a rear-facing camera.
1. Best used on clear Chinese, Japanese and Korean text (currently does not recognize stylized fonts or handwriting)
2. Intended for use on printed text, not computer screens
3. Designed for clear menus, signs and labels, not books or complicated text
4. If the text is small, hold the phone further away and use the zoom to translate more clearly
5. If text is blurry, tap the screen to focus
- Chinese (Simplified) to English
- Chinese (Traditional) to English
- Japanese to English
- Korean to English
- more coming soon!
Go to www.WaygoApp.com/menu to try Waygo translator now on a sample Chinese menu.
* Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/WaygoApp
* Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WaygoApp
NOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS
We appreciate your feedback. Please send any questions or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org