iPlaya. Beach weather forecast
by: Gloria Latorre • 0
Although there are those travel to Spain to enjoy its superlative culture and gastronomy, many trip goers are looking only for cheap alcohol (namely, the refreshing and healthy sangría) and sunny beaches, two things that are quantitatively abundant.
iPlaya focuses on the latter, including a huge database of more than 2,000 beaches, certainly enough yet still leaving some room to ask local natives about their secret hideouts. Accordingly, it adds weather forecasts and, when needed, tide info. Other relevant info includes wind conditions and water temperature, which is great if you're into surfing, wind-surfing, kite-surfing, parachute-surfing, or any other kind of sea sport or sport-to-be.
Therefore, no matter if you are only going to enjoy the ancient art of lizarding (learn some Spanish slang: "lagartear" means to sunbathe like a lizard) or whatever else, this app is pretty useful, especially for its Maps integration. Every beach is displayed along with some pics (taken from Google/images, no big deal here). More info or comments would have been appreciated. The UI, though improvable, is suitable even for below average users.
Anyway, it's free and ad-supported. Get on with it.
by Peter , Appszoom
Apr 24, 2014
The coast of Spain has almost 8000 kilometres, with over 3500 beaches, some of which are among the best beaches in the world. And the best way to plan your next beach trip is having all the information at hand.
With iPlaya you'll have a thorough guide to all Spanish beaches, including all their features and services available in them, accurate hourly weather forecast, exclusive drone footage, and users' reviews and photos to help you make your choice.
If you've already used iPlaya before, you'll notice we’re working hard to offer more and better contents.
We want to help you discover the perfect beach for you, so we’ve changed the home page to include curated lists of beaches with photos, drone footage, and enhanced descriptions.
But don’t worry, we’ve kept the old lists so you don’t miss anything: you can still search by name, navigate the lists of provinces and towns, and see the list of nearby beaches.
And of course your list of favorites is still there for quick one-tap access.
The special new lists include:
- “Discover”, which shows a compilation of beaches among the best in Spain with beautiful photos.
- “A seagul’s eye-view”, which lists all the beaches for which we’ve shot drone footage. This one will keep growing as we record more videos!
And there are more special lists coming!
The detail view for a beach is divided into 4 tabs:
- Summary, which gives you a general idea of the beach (the maximum UV index for the day is here among other data).
- Forecast, with hourly reports for temperature, sky conditions, water temperature, swell (wave height, period and direction), and wind (speed, direction, gusts). And daily reports for tides and astronomy data (sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset).
- Features, which includes a map showing the location of the beach and the distance from your current location (with the possibility of calculating the route to the beach by car or on foot, or launching the Maps app to get navigation). This section also includes a brief description of the beach, a list of general features (length, width, type of sand, etc.), a list of the main services available at the beach (showers, toilets, sports areas, etc.), information about accessing the beach and safety information.
- Ratings, which shows ratings, reviews and photos of the beach shared by users of the app. This is the section you can help grow by rating the beaches you know, writing reviews or uploading photos to share them with other users. (In order to send your ratings you must first login to your iPlaya account. Registering is super quick and easy!).
The Coastal areas section of the app is still there so you can explore swell forecasts for the following days with an animated map. Essential for boat trips.
Get iPlaya now and enjoy your holidays!