Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
by: Tin Man Games • 42
Gamebook adventures were a popular series of well, you know, books, back in the eighties and nineties, that combined choice-your-adventure mechanics with dice and a character sheet (a simplified version of those "true" role playing games use). It was just a matter of time that someone bring them back from oblivion and updates them. This review applies to all the GA and related series, as there are no relevant differences regarding interface of playability between them.
What you can find, as it's the case, are some enhancements regarding the original book. Judge Dredd, mobile version, includes a shake-to-roll the dice, which is pretty cool; achievements and art collecting, and new chapters unwritten at the moment of the original ones.
We won't discuss here the quality of the content, as they are all awesome under thirty years ago standards, but the update is at the same time something great and a missed chance. Great because there are a bunch of lovely little details such as the die rolling on the table and little animations to give the game some pace and intensity. A missed chance because there could have been a lot of new customization options we would have liked to really create our own character, and the sections are so word by word the same as then that if you played them as a child you might well still remember which options are better. There have been a few gameplay tweaks, though, but nothing able to break the already existing (un)balance.
Anyway, this more than acceptable update on those books we loved so much has to be welcomed and praised because of its professionalism and user-oriented thinking.
Tags: judge dredd wallpaper
by Peter , Appszoom
Nov 29, 2013
Drokk! It's an adventure game. It's an interactive book. It's an RPG. You are Judge Dredd, the toughest judge to patrol Mega-City One, a vast futuristic city, set in the 22nd Century!
** REVIEWS **
“With a new Judge Dredd movie coming out, this Gamebook really fired me up and got me in the mood. And, because each time you read the book it has the potential for a different storyline and ending, Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 is a steal” - WIRED
“With their latest release, Tin Man Games have proven that they can handle existing characters just as well as they do heroes of their own creation. Do yourself a favor – quit reading my words and start reading theirs.” – 4.5 out of 5 stars! GAMEZEBO
“Funny, rewarding, and pleasantly violent, Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 replaces the rattle of gunfire with the rattle of dice, and it just works.” – 8 out of 10! POCKETGAMER SILVER AWARD!
“It all makes for a game that’s tough to criticize. As an adventure game book, Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 succeeds very well and I suspect Judge Dredd fans will adore it all the more.” – 4 out of 5 stars! 148 APPS
“By Grud, its good.” – 8 out of 10! STARBURST MAGAZINE
You, the reader, control the direction of the story by making decisions for Dredd on each page, and choosing your path. Using a realistic dice-based battle system, you get to fight your enemies in exciting shootouts and roll your fate, as you use your array of skills against a variety of perps in an epic storyline.
"Sector 106 of Mega-City One is short of senior Street Judges and only the most experienced Judges have been reassigned to fill this shortfall…foremost among them yourself, Dredd! What begins as a routine patrol arresting juves and skysurfers, turns into a race against time, as mysterious "Voices of Dredd" find their way into the hands of the local perps. Riding your Lawmaster bike and armed with your trusty Lawgiver, you must pit yourself against Sector 106's brutal criminal underworld. Quick Dredd! The countdown has begun…"
• Newly written interactive story by Nick Robinson that takes the reader on an epic ride through Mega-City One.
• Custom built e-book interface, which is easy to use. As easy as reading a book!
• Universal app! You only need to buy this once to play on all your devices.
• Read in portrait or landscape. (iPad only)
• Dynamic page links that respond to your situation.
• Easy to change fonts and font sizes, to set up the book the way you want it.
• New gamebook rules and battle system using the Gamebook Adventures Engine. Judge's Handbook included so that rules can be accessed at any time during the adventure if you need to refresh yourself.
• Real-time 3D dice rolling with realistic physics. Shake the device like a dice shaker and watch the 3D dice bounce around the scene and off each other.
• Make skill rolls based on the weapons you use, your fitness levels, and your perceived authority.
• Accessible inventory sheet at all times during reading, which auto updates when you pick up an item, your stats change, or you gain valuable patrol notes.
• Difficulty levels - Hardcore, Medium and Novice. Play the book how it was meant to be played or casually read it in an easier mode.
• Use bookmarks to save your progress, helping you get past tricky sections.
• Achievements to collect throughout the book for those who wish to thoroughly explore all aspects of the story.
• Perp records sheets to collect during the adventure. Once a criminal is arrested or killed, their database updates with background information. Catch them all!
• Beautifully illustrated by German Ponce and other popular Dredd artists. Once found, each illustration is mounted on the achievements wall.
• High resolution artwork that takes advantage of the new iPad screen resolution and retina displays.
• Amazing soundtrack and sound effects accompany the story, which can be turned on and off if required.